Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Soren is in the midst of memorizing his multiplication tables. We had thought he was fine with this, but realized, after getting back a timed test, that he needed some practice. So, about a month ago I tried the "reward" tactic:

Me :"Hey Soren, when you master the times tables we can celebrate by going to Dairy Queen!"
Soren: "Can we go right now?"
Me: "No, you have to know these facts backwards and forwards first."
Soren: "Hmm... maybe later...."

Much of school comes easy for Soren, so when he was presented with a challenge, he got frustrated and started to rebel against our parental efforts. I made flashcards, we sang the "3 is the magic number" and other songs from Schoolhouse Rock, but he still didn't want to really learn the math.

One day as he was sitting at the piano, getting ready to practice, he turned and made the comment, "Mom, I guess I'm just like Mike Huckabee... 'I'm not a math guy, I'm more of a miracle guy.' " I was floored! I guess your kids really do tune in to the goings on of the wider world around them.
Naturally, this comment has been fodder for Dave's poli sci classes at Notre Dame. He asked me at least three times if that is really what Soren said.

Yep, that's my boy.

Oh, and by the way, he's learned his times tables. Dairy Queen here we come...

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

I loved learning my times tables...my 3rd grade teacher was awesome. You would be amazed at how MANY kids do not know those in our schools... :)